What is the Dismantle Patriarchy Contest?
The Dismantle Patriarchy contest is an opportunity to welcome ideas from young voices and minds about how we might literally dismantle — take apart, break into pieces, deconstruct — patriarchy.
What is Patriarchy?
Patriarchy is a social system in which power is held by men, through cultural norms and customs that favor men and withhold opportunity from women. In addition, patriarchy prioritizes masculinity and men as the ideal way of being over femininity and women. Patriarchy also punishes gender variance, which significantly hurts transgender people and anyone who deviates from assigned gender roles. (Source: The Guardian, Robin Dembroff, May 19, 2019)
There are many reasons to Dismantle Patriarchy and some of our goals are to:
- Encourage healthy and empowered expressions of gender identity
- Empower youth with exposure to new gender justice language/culture
- Bolster existing curriculum by including access to info on gender, sexual health and socialization such as consent
- Center voices of marginalized folk and communities in on-going youth programming and education initiatives
Dismantle Patriarchy Discussion Guide
Through this contest process — essentially an educational process and a creative envisioning — we anticipate that patriarchy will be viewed by youth in new and very different ways. This guide has been structured for use in the classroom, or by an individual.
2019 Contest ENTRY Rules & Guidelines
No Purchase Necessary To Enter Or Win. All Federal, State, And Local Laws And Regulations Apply. Void In U.S. Territories And Possessions And Where Prohibited Or Restricted By Law. By entering the DISMANTLE PATRIARCHY CONTEST (“Contest”), each individual who submits an entry (and their parent or legal guardian if the entrant is less than 18 years old) (“Entrant”) accepts and agrees to be bound by these Official Rules. Any violation of these rules may result in disqualification. The selection of the Winners (defined below) of this Contest will be final and binding in all respects. These Official Rules are subject to change without prior notice.
- ENTRY PERIOD. The Contest will begin January 28, 2020 at 12:00:00 am ET (“Start Date”) and end on April 15, 2020 at 11:59:59pm ET (“End Date”) (collectively, the “Entry Period”).
- ENTRY ELIGIBILITY. Contest entries may be submitted by any individual, who, as of the Start Date, is: (1) between 13 and 19 years old as of the Contest Start Date; and (2) enrolled in a New York City high school arts program. Sponsor and any other parties associated with the development and execution of this Contest, and their respective employees, officers, and directors (and their immediate families and members of the same household) are not eligible to enter or win. All applicable federal, state and local rules apply. The Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- CONTEST JUDGING AND WINNER SELECTION. All Entries that meet the eligibility requirements set forth in these Official Rules will be considered “Eligible Entries.” All Eligible Entries received during the Contest Period will be reviewed by the Dismantle Patriarchy Projects Youth & Young Adult Council (“Judging Panel”). The Judging Panel will review all Eligible Entries based upon the following criteria, which determination shall be in the Judging Panel’s sole discretion:
- relevance to the theme of “Dismantle Patriarchy” and the mission of Dismantle Patriarchy, and
- originality, creativity and emotional/inspirational reaction from the Entry (“Criteria”). The Judging Panel will select the respective winners from among the eligible Entries. All winners will be notified by email or telephone after April 30, 2020. Each winner will have 72 hours from the moment such notification is issued to respond to such notification and to sign and return to the Sponsor an affidavit of eligibility and liability release, and where permitted, a publicity release. Noncompliance or return of prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and, at Sponsor’s discretion, an alternate winner will be selected at the Judging Panel’s sole discretion. Winners will be announced on the Event Webpage. Decisions of the judges are final and binding in all respects. Sponsor’s server is the official clock for this Contest.
- PRIZE. One (1) grand prize winner will receive $5,000, One (1) second place winner will receive $3,000 and one (1) third place winner will receive $2,000. Prizes won by minors will be awarded to a parent or legal guardian, who must sign all required documents. Prizes are not transferable. Prizes will be awarded within 60 days of informing the winner. Sponsor is responsible for prize delivery only. Prizes are non-transferable. Taxes and fees, if any, are the sole responsibility of the Winner. The Internal Revenue Service may require Form 1099-MISC to be issued to the Winner.
- OWNERSHIP AND LICENSE. By entering the Contest, all Entrants grant an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty free, non-exclusive license to Sponsor, and each of their successors, assigns, and licensees (“Authorized Parties”) to use, reproduce, modify, publish, transmit, distribute, edit, display and create derivative works of the Entry without compensation for the limited purposes of
- administering this Contest,
- display during the Contest award ceremony, in Sponsor’s online gallery and public exhibition,
- publication in print or online publications produced by Sponsor or Sponsor’s authorized partners, supporters, or sponsors,
- publication on the Event Webpage, and (e) publicity materials (including social media). Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with use by Authorized Parties. If requested, Entrant agrees to sign any additional documentation for Sponsor and its designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights the Entrant is granting to Sponsor to use the Entry. Entrant further warrant and represent:
- that his/her Entry does not violate any law or regulation;
- that his/her Entry does not violate or infringe any right, of any third party, including but not limited to intellectual property rights, such as but not limited to, rights of copyright, trademark or patent, or rights of publicity and/or privacy, and is not defamatory, slanderous or libelous or portray any person in a false light;
- that the Entry is Entrant’s own original work and that he/she owns or controls all right, title and interest in the Entry, including but not limited to its copyright;
- that no portion of the Entry has been accepted for previous publication or submitted in any other competition, sweepstakes or contest;
- that the Entry does not contain any viruses, bugs, or other deleterious material;
- that the Entrant has followed these Official Rules; and
- Entrant has obtained the consent of all identifiable persons (or their parent or legal guardian in the case of minors) included in the Entry for use in this Contest. No portion of the Entry may contain, among other things, the trademark, trade name or logo of any third party, and cannot contain any material that is protected by copyright. Submitting an Entry that is copyrighted by another individual will make you responsible for any legal action the legal copyright holder might take against you, and for indemnifying and defending any of the Authorized Parties, their successors, assigns and licensees from and holding them harmless against any claims asserted by third parties, which arise, directly or indirectly, out of, or any use or the ownership of, the Entry or the exercise of any other rights conferred under or arising out of this Contest, your Entry or these Official Rules. By entering, each Entrant grants to Authorized Parties the unrestricted right to use his/her name, photograph, likeness, statements, biographical information, voice, voice likeness, and city and state address for publicity and promotional purposes in all media, including but not limited to within Sponsor’s website, in perpetuity, without compensation (unless prohibited by law) and without notice, review or approval, and agrees to execute specific consent to such use upon request.
- DISQUALIFICATION. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or any website related to the Contest, acting in violation of the Official Rules, or acting in a non-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Any use of robotic, macro, automatic, programmed or other similar entry methods will void all such Entries by such methods. Any Potential Winner may be required to provide the Sponsor with proof that the Potential Winner is the authorized account holder of the email account associated with the potentially winning Entry. Sponsor may prosecute any fraudulent activities to the full extent of the law.
- RELEASE. Entrant agrees to release and hold harmless and forever discharge Sponsor, Authorized Parties, and their respective parents, wholly and partially owned subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, contractors, and representatives (“Released Parties”) from all causes of action, liabilities, damages, suits, debts, claims, and demands of any kind whatsoever (including attorney’s fees and expenses) arising from, or in any way related to this Contest, including, but not limited to any claims or causes of actions for injuries that Entrant may sustain as a result of Entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize, or for any typographical, printing, or other inadvertent errors in the Official Rules. Except where prohibited, acceptance of the Prize constitutes a release by any Winner of the Sponsor of any and all claims in connection with the administration of this Contest and the use, misuse, or possession of the Winner’s Entry or any Prize.
- LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. Released Parties are not responsible for:
- any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Entrant, printing, typographical, or other errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest;
- technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software;
- unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Contest process;
- printing, typographical, technical, computer, network, or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest, the uploading, the processing of photos, or the announcement of the winners; or
- late, lost, undeliverable, damaged, or stolen mail. Released Parties are not responsible for illegible, misdirected, or undeliverable Entries or photos or for any technical problems, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof. Released Parties are not responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of any Entries. Any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. Any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to this Contest or these Official Rules must be filed within one (1) year after such claim or cause of action arose regardless of any status or law to the contrary. In the event any such claim or cause of action is not filed within such one (1) year period, such claim or cause of action shall be barred. ANY CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND/OR AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THIS CONTEST. ENTRANT (AND THEIR PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIANS IF ENTRANTS ARE MINORS) HEREBY WAIVE ANY RIGHTS OR CLAIMS TO ATTORNEY’S/LEGAL FEES, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ENTRANT, IDENTIFIABLE PERSONS, OR THIRD PARTY PARTICIPANTS, WHETHER FORESEEABLE OR NOT AND WHETHER BASED ON NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE EVENT WEBPAGE OR OTHERWISE UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FROM PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY’S/LEGAL FEES) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
- DISPUTES. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the Entrants and Sponsors in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of California without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules.
- SPONSOR. V-Day, 4104 24th Street, #4515, San Francisco, CA 94114, and A Call to Men, 250 Merrick Road #813 Rockville Centre, New York 11570 (collectively, “Sponsor”).
- QUESTIONS/COMMENTS. Send an email to email@example.com with any questions or comments regarding the Contest.
Finalists will be chosen by the Youth & Young Adult Council and winners will be chosen through secret ballot council voting. There will be three winners: GRAND PRIZE, SECOND PLACE AND THIRD PLACE.
- No purchase necessary to enter. This contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States. Employees of V-Day and A Call to Men and their ancillary agencies, and members of the immediate family of any such persons are not eligible to participate and win. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as “in-laws,” or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related.
- Each entrant must obtain the permission of a parent or legal guardian to enter the Dismantle Patriarchy Contest. It is the responsibility of each entrant (and the entrant’s parent or guardian) to ensure that they have read and will abide by these rules & guidelines. By submitting an entry, each entrant (and the entrant’s parent or guardian) agrees to the rules that their entry complies with the rules and guidelines.
- Submissions that do not meet the “Contest Entry Rules” as outlined on the website will be disqualified. All entries must be the entrant’s original creation, may not have been published or produced previously and must not infringe any third-party rights. Entries must NOT contain profanity, threats, hate speech, or bullying.
- Prizes for teachers will be awarded to the teacher identified in the registration process. Student prizes will be mailed to teacher/sponsoring teacher or guardian. Prizes won by minors will be awarded to a parent or legal guardian, who must sign all required documents. In the event that one teacher has more than one placing student, the teacher will receive only one set of prizes equivalent to the teacher prize package for the highest placing student. Prizes are not transferable. No substitutions of prize allowed by winner, non-cash prize is not redeemable for cash.
- All entrants release Dismantle Patriarchy Project and V-Day, their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents and all others associated with the development and execution of this contest from any and all liability from injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from participation in this contest or acceptance or use of any prize.
- Dismantle Patriarchy Project and V-Day reserves the right to cancel prizes when no reply to teacher notification is received after 30 days or if incorrect contact information is provided on the entry form.
Intellectual Property Rights
- Each entry must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party.
- Ownership of the copyright in any entry submitted to the Contest will remain with the copyright owner. The creator will be credited with their name (© creator’s name) The entrant agrees that the Contest Council will not be liable to the entrant in the event of inadvertent omission of the credit.
- By entering the Contest, entrants grant to the Contest Council a non-exclusive, irrevocable license to reproduce, publish, exhibit and communicate to the public, by any means and in all media throughout the world, any entry this license is granted only for use in relation to the Contest and Youth & Young Adult Councils, which shall include but will not be limited to any of the following areas:
- The Contest judging process by the Youth & Young Adult Councils
- Display during the awards ceremony, online gallery & public exhibition
- Publication in print media or magazines which the Contest Council (or their official partners, supporters, or sponsors) may produce;
- Publication on relevant parts of the Contest website, including within interactive elements available for viewing or download;
- in publicity materials (including social media).
- All entries selected as winners and semi-finalists are intended for inclusion in the website, awards ceremony and awards ceremony publications.
- How do I enter the contest?
Enter your submission through the Dismantle Patriarchy Contest’s website and make sure you check the “Enter Contest” tag. Then post it to your Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter with the following hashtags: #DismantlePatriarchy
- Do I need to register?
No, you will receive a confirmation email once your submission is received. If you do not receive a confirmation email, email info(at)dismantlepatriarchy.org – using the same email address that you used for your submission
- Are there any age restrictions?
Yes, students between the ages of 13-19 as of January 31, 2020 and who are enrolled in a New York City high school arts program are eligible to enter.
- Do I have to pay to enter?
- How many entries can I submit?
One entry per student.
- How do I know if my submissions have gone through and been accepted?
You will receive a confirmation email once your submission has been received. If you don’t get that email, reach out to info(at)dismantlepatriarchy.org using the same email that you used for submission.
- Can I change my selection of entries once they have been uploaded?
- Can I enter an image that has already been used or published?
No, all entries must be original work that has not been published elsewhere.
- How is the competition judged?
The competition is judged by our Youth Council and Adult Council.
- What about intellectual property rights?
Each entry must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party.